Breaking News

Myanmar aid efforts hindered by conflict

AT LEAST 3000 people have been confirmed to have died as a result of the devastating earthquake in Myanmar, where access to aid is hampered by the civil war.

The number is expected to rise dramatically: experts suggest that the figure from the 7.7 magnitude earthquake, the country’s worst since 1912, could be about 10,000. A week of national mourning has been declared.

Thailand also suffered. At least 20 people died in Bangkok, where more were still missing this week, believed to be under a collapsed high-rise building.

Access for journalists and aid workers is restricted in Myanmar, which has been in a state of civil war since the military coup in 2021. The regime controls only about 20 per cent of the country; the rest is held by armed resistance groups and ethnic rebel groups. The junta frequently carries out air strikes in civil areas, and has continued this week, prompting international expressions of outrage.

The epicentre was in historic Mandalay, with its many monasteries, temples, and convents. Many monks are thought to be trapped under a collapsed monastery, where they had been sitting an exam.

As it was the last Friday of Ramadan, there are also reports that many of the country’s Muslim minority were in mosques when these collapsed.

The charity Christian Solidarity Worldwide quoted a Muslim in Sagaing as saying that, after three out of five of the city’s mosques had collapsed, there had been problems burying the dead with religious rites, because the cemetery was inaccessible in a war zone, and the bodies had to be sent to Mandalay.

Near Mandalay, a pre-school collapsed on its seventy children and staff.

In Nay Pyi Taw, a hospital has been declared a “mass casualty area”, although a man was pulled from a collapsed hotel near by on Wednesday, still alive after five days.

The Archbishop of Yangon, Cardinal Charles Maung Bo, was travelling in the capital when the earthquake struck. He told the Vatican news service how cars lost control as huge craters opened up along the road.

He said: “Myanmar has been having a torrid time for the last four years, and the earthquake came at a very sad time for our people. The areas affected are already affected by multidimensional crises of conflict, the collapse of the economy, and huge displacement.

“I saw the poignant scenes of men and women rushing through the roads, seeking safety as the earthquake sent shivers through their bones. It was a shattering experience to see nature colluding with other forces in exacerbating our people’s suffering.”

In a later statement, he called for “an immediate and comprehensive ceasefire” to allow aid to get in. He said: “This tragic event has further exacerbated the profound multi-dimensional humanitarian crisis already gripping Myanmar, where, as per the UN estimate, nearly 20 million people, including 6.3 million children, are in dire need of assistance.

“The Catholic Church affirms its unwavering support for the affected people and sends out condolences to families that lost their dear ones. We especially pray for those who perished in the places of worship in pagodas and mosques. The Catholic Church will mobilize support to assist with the life-saving needs of food, medicine, and shelter.”

On Wednesday, the junta announced a temporary ceasefire, until 22 April, to facilitate relief efforts, the Associated Press reported. Rebel groups had declared a ceasefire on Tuesday.

Many places of worship have been destroyed.

The Archbishop of Wales, the Most Revd Andrew John, issued a prayer on Tuesday, for “all those affected by the devastating earthquake in Myanmar, and beyond”.

Source link

Related Posts

1 of 25