NEWCASTLE CATHEDRAL has withdrawn its planned participation in the Archbishop of York’s Lord’s Prayer Tour.
Archbishop Cottrell had previously been expected to speak at Newcastle Cathedral on 18 September as part of a tour this year (News, 12 March), but a revised list of dates omits Newcastle.
In a statement to the Church Times on Wednesday, the Dean of Newcastle, the Very Revd Lee Batson, said that he was “deeply proud of the Cathedral’s ongoing ministry to those who have suffered abuse in their lives.
“It was this that informed the unanimous decision made solely by the Dean and Chapter to inform the Archbishop that we will not be hosting him as part of his Lord’s Prayer tour.
“This decision was made independently by the Cathedral’s governing body and applies specifically to this event. The well-being of survivors remains our highest priority, and Newcastle Cathedral will always strive to put them first.”
A spokesperson for the Archbishop of York made no comment beyond saying that the tour included a number of cathedrals and other locations in the north of England.
“These events are opportunities to reflect on the meaning and significance of the Lord’s Prayer. They are part of a wider set of events and resources on offer across the north, with an open invitation to get involved over the next 12 months,” she said.